Monday, June 05, 2006

Too many 'ologists spoil the broth...

Well, made a trip to my Rheumatologist today--NOT my Gastroenterologist or my Neurologist--and the good news is I can participate in any food-related clinical study I want to. Bad news is I'm doomed to feel like hell for several more months. I'll spare you the details but suffice it to say---it sucks.

Speaking of food-related studies, I received an email on the study I volunteered for. I'm going to call tomorrow to ck out the details, but it sounds like I'm out of the running since I'm too far from St Louis. Guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow--I'll let ya know. Here's the info. I received:

If you are in the St. Louis region, call Marsha at (314) 747-3181 or Chris at (314) 747-3180.

Jim DrydenAssociate Director, Broadcast ServicesMedical Public AffairsWashington University in St. Louisphone: 314-286-0110fax: 314-286-0199

I spent some time jotting down easy, healthy food combos and snacks. I'm trying to compile a list of mix-n-match staples rather than specific meal plans so I can toss them together ad lib. I manage better eating several snacks/small meals rather than 2-3 large ones and I eat most of my meals at my desk or in my car. Some of my favorite easy-to-pack goodies are: olives, almonds, raisins, prunes, grapes, bananas, FF cottage cheese, apple with organic p-nut butter and several others that have escaped my mind right now....Some of my personal weaknesses are CHEESE and any type of pasta. For the past month I've been moderating my pasta and cheese intake, and frankly, I haven't suffered at all. And best of all, I think my behind is a smidgen smaller. That's really good to hear since my normal weight is 115-120 but (due to Crohn's) I've had to take steroids for seven months and I've gained nearly 30 lbs. I've got enough butt to share with a village of pygmies but luckily, I will be completely off the steroids on Sunday. YEAH!! For the past month my dose has been low enough that my appetite has returned to normal so I've been able to revive my CR interest in earnest.

To Amy--Thanks for the encouragement!! You've got little kids so I know you're double-busy. When my kids were little (they're now 14-Sara and 18-Mikael) I ate most of my meals as left-overs from their plates. Keeping everybody healthy is tough. eat-2-live@yahoogroups.com has some great kid-friendly, healthy recipes and ideas, as does the CR site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheila,
Have you looked into aligngi.com?
Bifidobacterium infantis.

Check scholar.google.com with Bifidobacterium inflammatory bowel disease in the search box.

Might be worth a try.

Good luck,

JT

sheilarenee said...

JT,

I'll definitely ck it out!

Thank you,

Sheila