Saturday, June 03, 2006

Don't you hate it when your mother is right?

My mother ALWAYS told me that life went to hell at 40. Of course, I didn't believe her. Then I turned 40. (Before I go on, I want everyone to know I'm not a cranky, negative person but this part might sound that way!) Within a month I started feeling "not quite right"--running fever, no energy, stomach problems--silly me, I chalked it up to stress, single parenthood, poor diet, being 40. Also keep in mind that I'm a Registered Nurse.....Nurses do a great job caring for others but we get really CRAPPY marks in the self-care department..... Anyway, I felt really bad and went to the ER after work one day. I expected to come home with an antibiotic prescription but instead, I was admitted in guarded condition with a bowel abscess. Stayed seven days. That was 13 months ago and I have been sick ever since. Bad news--I have Crohn's disease and there's no cure. Good news--I have Crohn's disease and there's no cure. The illness has forced me to examine my life, priorities and health. Now that I'm feeling a wee bit better I'm making some slow, deliberate changes.

I started following DR Walford's research way back when, but never made any serious changes in my diet. I was young and invincible, after all. Now I'm feeling very mortal and I don't dread change now like I did 15-20 yrs ago. So...I'm making over my lifestyle (with CR being a big part of it) and implementing a self-care plan because I'm tired of being tired. So, in my maiden post I would like to thank several of the CR practitioners who have influenced my decision: Thanks a bunch--Nerissa, Warren, Al, April, Mary, Francesca and all the others that have offered support, encouragement, informative blogging and sage advice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»