Sunday, August 13, 2006

First day..

Well, today was my first CR test day using the tracking program from Bob Phillips' site. Very user-friendly--I'm impressed. As I looked up the assorted foods I ate today, I saved them to my personal food profile, making my tracking even easier later on. I didn't set a calorie goal today, I simply measured and recorded what I ate. Very enlightening....My total intake for the day was 1,458 calories, plus two drinks of my daughter's chocolate latte. This is a much lower number than I expected, since I ate all I wanted and also ate each time I felt hungry. My MD says active Crohns decreases appetite, which kind of kills my idea of remission coming in the next few months....Dammit....On the good side, I met most of my RDA's in many areas. On the bad side, my calcium and B12 intake are dismal, plus I'm a little low in a few other areas. (I'm also a carb hound....) I need to incorporate a ton more veggies. Usually I use my steamer; raw veggies don't always do well with Crohns digestive problems. Looks like I need to use it MORE...

Today was also my first CR based trip to the grocery. Armed with a tentative list, I hit the super WalMart. Honestly, it wasn't so bad. I bought fresh avocados, cucumbers and carrots, frozen colored peppers, mixed veggies, cherries, blueberries, fat-free cottage cheese and yogurt. I already have a cabinet full of dried beans, water-packed tuna and canned veggies, plus several frozen chicken breasts. I'm going to fix tuna salad for my lunch tomorrow with fruit for dessert, plus some almonds and cottage cheese and veggies for snack. I decided to buy some frozen veggies rather than fresh because I'll be steaming most of them, and frozen is often less expensive.

Overall, not a bad day.. As usual, any input from those more experienced is appreciated!!

No comments: